All images and content copyright Patricia M. Heimerl. All rights reserved.

Back at the studio, I began to play with the possibilities of the placemat. I don't think I've ever seen such tiny pieces of bamboo plant. Stitched together, they gave the mat versatility of movement: I could roll it, wave it, and flatten it.

I wondered what the best dimensional format would be. I could use the mat intact or cut it in half horzontally to give me more material. Because I was associating bamboo with a Japanese aesthetic, I decided to leave the mat as found, which would make a tall, narrow book. Some of the provided paper-based objects were also in a tall, narrow format.

I searched my studio for other materials I had on hand for the actual construction of the book. A package of linen tape fit in perfectly for the binding, as it was both a natural material and color. Working with the placemat and linen tape, I spent several hours of experimentation before coming up with the final binding technique. This turned out to be the most time-consuming part of the project.
Phase 2
See page 3 from my sketchbook:
Back to Projects & Processes


Found Object Project for the
2011 Focus on Book Arts Conference